Wednesday edition not available due to bitterly cold temperatures

Staff Writer

    Due to dangerously cold temperatures the Wednesday, Jan. 30, edition of The Decatur Daily Democrat will not be delivered to homes, businesses or vendors. The Wednesday edition will be delivered as soon as it is safe for our carriers and drivers to do so.
    Thank you for your patience and understanding. We want everyone to be safe, so please do not venture outside unless it is absolutely necessary. If you must go outside, take precautions to remain safe.

    • Hoosiers should limit their exposure by staying indoors. Make trips outside as brief as possible;
    • If spending time outside, wear several layers of loose-fitting clothing, and cover any exposed skin with a hat, scarf, and gloves;
    • Check on family, friends and neighbors who are at risk and may need additional assistance;
    • Pet owners should be especially sensitive to their animal’s limits when outside. Bring pets indoors or ensure they have a warm shelter area with unfrozen water. Be aware of local ordinances regarding outdoor pets.

    • Appliances such as ovens should never be used for heating. Doing so can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.
    • Do not close the fireplace damper too early while ashes are still hot. Doing so can force dangerous levels of carbon monoxide into the home.
    • Keep at least a three-foot perimeter around space heaters at all times.
    • Space heaters should be kept away from loose or flammable objects such as clothing, curtains, bedding and furniture.
    • Only one space heater should be plugged into each electrical outlet. Never overload electrical outlets.
    • Do not leave space heaters on in unoccupied rooms.
    • If it is necessary to purchase a space heater, consider purchasing one with a built-in tilt sensor that automatically shuts off if tipped over.
    • Refuel kerosene space heaters outside the home in a well-ventilated area. Be sure to let them cool down first if they were recently used.
    • Use only dry, seasoned firewood to prevent build-up of creosote, which can prevent the chimney from venting properly.
    • Avoid using flammable liquid to start fires in fireplaces or wood stoves. Always have a fire extinguisher on hand in case the fire gets out of control.

    Now that Indiana's coldest temperatures in decades has arrived, the Adams County Emergency Management Agency announced several warming centers throughout the county for those in need.
    Seven regional community buildings will double as warming centers.

    • Adams County Service Complex — 313 Jefferson St. — Use the 3rd Street entrance. Monday-Thursday, 5 a.m.-8 p.m.; Friday, 5 a.m.-6 p.m.; Saturday, 8 a.m.-2 p.m.; Sunday, 1-4 p.m.;
    • Riverside Center — 231 E. Monroe St.  — During regular business hours. Monday-Tuesday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.; Wednesday, 8 a.m.-6 p.m.; Thursday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.;
    • Adams Public Library System — 128 S. 3rd St. — During regular business hours. Sunday 1-5 p.m.; Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m.-8 p.m.; Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.; Saturday 1-5 p.m.

    • Monroe Volunteer Fire Department — 233 Tower Dr.

    • Warming Center is at the Berne Fire Department — 1230 Parkway St.;
    • Swiss Village- 1350 W. Main St. — Warming center available in the lobby, 8 a.m.-7 p.m. Contact number is 589-3173.

    • Geneva Town Hall — 411 E. Line St. on second floor — Open Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.; or if an emergency, contact Geneva Police Department at 260-368-7077;
    • Adams Public Library System — 305 E. Line St. — During regular business hours. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 10 a.m.-5 p.m.; Thursday 10 a.m.-8 p.m.; Saturday 9 a.m.-12 p.m.